ಮಾಹಿತಿ ಕೃಪೆ – IBF
The BCCC is the independent self-regulatory body set up by IBF to examine content-related complaints against GECs. In a short time, BCCC has become India’s most credible self-regulatory mechanism for non-news television. The Council also articulates its views on various aspects of self-regulation and contributes to the policy making process. Independence, Neutrality, Transparency and Autonomy are BCCC’s guiding principles.
The BCCC takes immense pride in its democratic structure and independent functioning, which has clearly established self-monitoring as the best form of regulation for television. All three pillars of Indian democracy – Legislature, Executive and Judiciary – have hailed BCCC’s work. The Council has also won praise from the Civil Society and the Press.
The BCCC examines complaints about TV programmes from viewers and other sources, including the Ministry of I&B, civil society, NGOs and residents’ welfare associations. The Council usually meets once every month and ensures that TV programmes run in conformity with IBF’s Self-Regulatory Guidelines.
The BCCC is a 13-Member body chaired by Justice A.P. Shah, former Chief Justice of Delhi and Madras High Courts. The Council’s 12 other Members are drawn from different walks of life, contributing to the democratic composition of the self-regulation watchdog.
The BCCC’s 12 Members are from the following three categories:
- FOUR Non-Broadcasting Members from Eminent Persons’ category;
- FOUR Representatives of National-level Statutory Commissions; and
- FOUR Broadcast Members representing the Broadcasting Industry.
Justice (Retd.) A.P. Shah, Former Chief Justice, Delhi and Madras High Courts
Non-Broadcast Members (Eminent Persons’ Category)
- Mr. Bhaskar Ghose, eminent theatre personality, writer and former IAS officer
- Ms. Shabana Azmi, eminent actor and social activist
- Mr. Vir Sanghvi, eminent journalist, editor and television anchor
- Prof. Anand Kumar, eminent sociologist, Jawaharlal Nehru University
Members from National Statutory Commissions
- Dr. P.L. Punia, Chairperson, National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC)
- Ms. Dipa Dixit, Member, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR)
- Ms. Shamina Shafiq, Member, National Commission for Women (NCW)
- Mr. Wajahat Habibullah, Chairperson, National Commission for Minorities (NCM)*
- Mr. S.K. Kharventhan, Member, National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC)*
*The fourth Member of BCCC in this category shall be Chairperson or Member of the following National Commissions on rotational basis, depending on the nature of complaint being dealt by the Council in a particular meeting:
- National Commission for Minorities (NCM)
- National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC)
- National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST)
- National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)
- Mr. Ashok Nambissan (Multi Screen Media)
- Mr. Sujeet Jain (Viacom 18)
- Mr. Nittin Keni (Zee Network)
- Mr. Deepak Jacob (STAR India)
Mr. Ashish Sinha